Tour no. VE-P4: A popular two week combination for those short on time. Two days of game drives, a week long summit of Kilimanjaro and a Zanzibar beach holiday. For this particular tour, we recommend you to book a flight arriving at Kilimanjaro Airport with return from Dar es Salaam, alternatively arriving at Nairobi Airport with return from Zanzibar.
Day 1. Transfer from point of arrival to Arusha. Overnight at; L: Serena Mountain Village, H: New Arusha Hotel, M: Mount Meru Hotel, B: Arusha Travel Lodge.
Day 2. Depart Arusha at 09.00 am for a full day in Lake Manyara National Park, famous for its green scenery, varied bird life, tree-climbing lions, hippos and baboons. Overnight on the rim of the Great Rift Valley, overlooking Lake Manyara at; L: Lake Manyara Serena, H: E Unoto Retreat, M: Lake Manyara Hotel, B: Panorama Camp
Day 3. A full day in the Ngorongoro Crater. There is a very high possibility of spotting the big 5 in one day: lion, rhino, elephant, buffalo and leopard. Lunch will take place at the picnic site at the crater floor. Overnight in the Great Rift Valley at; L: Serena Mountain Village, H: New Arusha Hotel, M: Mount Meru Hotel, B: Arusha Travel Lodge.
Day 4. An early start with a drive to Machame gate. Begin trekking through the rain forests on a winding trail for 5-7 hours until you arrive at Machame Campsite. Overnight at Machame Camp (3100 m)
Day 5. After breakfast, leave the glades of the rain forest and continue on an ascending path, crossing a little valley and walking along a steep rocky ridge covered with heather until the end of the ridge. The route then turns west onto a river gorge at 3658m (5-7 hours). Overnight at the Shira Campsite (3800 m)
Day 6. From the Shira plateau continue trekking east towards the lava tower called “the sharks tooth”. Shortly after the tower you come to a junction leading to the arrow glacier. Continue walking for about five hours to Barranco Campsite (3950 m) for overnight.
Day 7. A day of acclimatization with a walk to and overnight at Karranga Valley Camp (3963 m)
Day 8. Walk through the Karanga valley and the junction which is connected to the Barafu Campsite (4600 m) for overnight. The two peaks, Mawenzi and Kibo can be seen from this point.
Day 9. Just after midnight trek past the Stella point (5745m) on the way to the summit, the Uhuru peak. This part of the climb takes about 8 hours. You have now reached the highest point in Africa at 5895 meters! From the summit descend to Mweka Campsite (3100m) for overnight, this takes about 5 hours.
Day 10. The day is spent descending to the Mweka park gates (3-4 hours). Transfer to Arusha for overnight at; L: Serena Mountain Village, H: New Arusha Hotel, M: Mount Meru Hotel, B: Arusha Travel Lodge.
Day 11. Transfer to Arusha Airport for flight to Zanzibar, where you will unwind for 6 days. Highlights include exploring the Arabic architecture, tropical fruits & spices, deep sea fishing, scuba diving, snorkeling and last but not least the white palm fringed beaches and the azure waters of the Indian ocean!
Overnight at; L: Karafuu Beach Hotel, H: Karafuu Beach Hotel, M: Mnarani Cottages(deluxe rooms), B: Mnarani Cottages(standard rooms)
Day 13. Transfer to Stone Town for a last night on the legendary spice island of Zanzibar. Overnight at; L: Zanzibar Serena Inn, H: Zanzibar Serena Inn, M: Dhow Palace Hotel, B: Kids Play Hotel
Day 14. Return to Arusha or Dar es Salaam for connecting flight home.
L = Luxury
Five star accommodation while in Arusha, on safari and on Zanzibar. Basic camping on Kilimanjaro
H = High end
Upper end standard while in Arusha and on safari. Five star accommodation on Zanzibar.Basic camping on Kilimanjaro
M = Medium
Medium standard while in Arusha, on safari and on Zanzibar. Basic camping on Kilimanjaro
B = Budget
Basic camping while on safari and Kilimanjaro, budget class accommodation in Arusha and on Zanzibar.
We can provide French and Spanish speaking guides on request. You can find photos of the different accommodation options offered here. Note that for this package we have quoted a Kilimanjaro trek via Machame route for seven days, including a day for acclimatization. We can also offer this package with the Kilimanjaro trek via other routes, and shorten or lengthen the duration of the trek. Contact us for detailed quotes.
* Transfer from Kilimanjaro / Arusha / Nairobi Airport and return. Note that for transfer from Nairobi Airport we use Impala Shuttle Service with departures daily at 0800 and 1400.
* Accommodation on bed and breakfast basis while in Arusha
* Accommodation on fullboard basis while on safari
* Accommodation on halfboard basis while on Zanzibar
* Seven days safari as described above including park entry fees, camping fees / lodge accommodation, 3 meals a day while on tour, English speaking driverguide, 4WD landcruiser with open roof and sliding windows, cook, camping equipment, unlimited game viewing within park opening hours, AAR Emergency Rescue & Evacuation Insurance.
* Seven days Kilimanjaro trek via Machame route including park entry fees, camping fees, rescue fees, transfers, English speaking mountain guide, assistant guide(s), porters, cook, 3 meals a day while on tour, camping equipment (tents, sleeping bags, mattresses, chairs, tables and mess tent), walking sticks, head lamps and gloves
* Domestic flight to Zanzibar including transfer to Arusha Airport and transfer from Zanzibar Airport to hotel and return.
* Entry visas
* International flights
* Dinner on day 1 and 8
* Lunches while on Zanzibar
* Items of personal nature (mineral water, alcohol, phone calls etc)
* Tipping to the crew
* Island excursions on Zanzibar
* Return to Arusha, Kilimanjaro, Dar es Salaam or Nairobi on day 14 (this will cost between 50-250 USD per person)